Wisdom teeth extractions are some of the most commonly performed procedures in our oral surgery office. On average, patients’ mouths are too small to accommodate the proper development of third molars (wisdom teeth), which is why removing them is so often recommended. Our oral surgeon has years of training and experience in oral surgery and the extraction of third molars and will make sure you receive the highest quality care.
If you’re in your late teens or early twenties, it’s likely that your dentist has identified your wisdom teeth in their early stages or possibly even recommended you for treatment. Our office near Mount Vernon, WA, can help you schedule a consultation with our oral surgeon, Dr. Brar.
Why do wisdom teeth need to be removed?
As stated above, the most common reason that wisdom teeth require extraction is that patients don’t have enough room in their mouths. Early removal is best because the teeth are extracted before they can grow in incorrectly. If not removed early, wisdom teeth will typically grow in sideways and/or become impacted (stuck beneath the gums), at which point they can cause more serious health problems:
- Infection – Infection is a likely result of impacted wisdom teeth because it’s easy for bacteria to develop when the molars are trapped below the surface.
- Tooth Damage – If the mouth lacks the space for wisdom teeth to grow properly, they may grow in sideways and damage the roots of nearby molars.
- Dental Shifting – Without enough space to grow, the wisdom teeth will force your other teeth out of place to make room.
- Cysts and Tumors – Often a complication from infection, cysts and even tumors are known to develop. They can damage surrounding bone tissue if left untreated.
Wisdom teeth typically begin developing beneath the gums before you even notice them there, which is why it’s important to continue attending checkups with your dentist. They can monitor the molars’ growth and refer you to our office near Mount Vernon, WA, when it’s time for removal. The earlier the teeth are extracted, the more likely that you will avoid complications.
What are the benefits of early removal?
As mentioned above, early removal is ideal in most instances of wisdom teeth. Our oral surgeon recommends extracting the molars in the early stages of development for the following reasons:
- Lesser developed wisdom teeth are smaller, which means the procedure is typically easier, the surgical sites are smaller, and the recovery is quicker and more comfortable.
- Early removal often means a younger patient. Younger patients generally heal quicker and better than older patients.
- Removing the teeth early, as a preventive procedure, means you avoid more serious problems, and the need for more complex — and expensive — procedures in the future.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Near Mount Vernon, WA
If you live in Mount Vernon, WA, and need your wisdom teeth extracted, our office is in a convenient location, our staff has your best interests in mind, and our oral surgeon is highly trained in the full scope of oral surgery. Dr. Brar, along with our team, will ensure you receive the highest quality care in the Mount Vernon, WA, area.