Our oral surgery office near Oak Harbor, WA, sees a lot of wisdom teeth patients because it’s extremely common for the third set of molars to require removal. The average patient’s mouth is too small to accommodate the growth of wisdom teeth. Fortunately, our oral surgeon possesses years of extensive training and experience and can safely extract the molars when necessary.
One of the key components in ensuring your wisdom teeth are properly monitored is keeping up regular visits with your general dentist. When the molars begin looking problematic, your dentist will refer you to our oral surgeon. You can then visit our office near Oak Harbor, WA, for your consultation.
Why do wisdom teeth require extraction?
The most common reason for wisdom teeth removal is lack of space — when a mouth is too small, the molars don’t have enough room to grow in properly. Extracting the teeth will prevent them from developing more serious problems. Early removal is ideal because our oral surgeon can get the teeth out before they have a chance to cause issues; however, the teeth can be removed at any stage. The common complications associated with third molars include
- Dental Shifting – If the teeth don’t have enough room to grow correctly, they’ll often grow in sideways, forcing your other teeth over and out of alignment.
- Infection – Infection most commonly results from impaction, which is when the molars are trapped beneath the gums. In cases of impaction, it’s easier for bacteria to grow.
- Tooth Damage – In cases where the teeth grow in sideways, it’s likely that they will push into the roots of nearby teeth and damage them.
- Cysts and Tumors – Cysts and tumors become much more likely to form when infection is present and can cause serious problems when left untreated.
What are the benefits of early removal?
In most instances, removing wisdom teeth while in the early development stages is ideal for the following reasons:
- The less developed the wisdom teeth are, the smaller they will be, making the procedure easier, the surgical site smaller, and the recovery quicker.
- Patients are typically younger when the teeth are extracted early. Younger patients typically heal more quickly.
- Early removal helps prevent more serious problems, which also means you avoid more complex procedures in the future.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Near Oak Harbor, WA
If your wisdom teeth require extraction and you live in Oak Harbor, WA, we encourage you to schedule an appointment at our office. Our oral surgeon and staff are dedicated to providing the highest quality oral surgery care.